A 2016 study shows that:
- 97% of executives view golf with a business associate as a way to establish a close relationship.
- 92% use golf as a way to make business contacts.
- More than 50% say there is no better way, to get to know associates and clients. The second-best way is a business meal.
- 45% say clients are more likely to give you their business if you golf together.
- 43% of executives say some of their biggest deals have been made or started on the golf course.
- 59% believe that the way a person plays golf is the way he or she behaves in business.
- 67% of respondents say that a person who cheats at golf would probably cheat in business.
- 57% say a hothead on the golf course is probably bad tempered at work.
- 92% say people stressed at work would get more relief if they golfed. Executives who play golf make 17% more than those who don’t.
- 54% of business professionals see golf as the perfect networking tool.
- An estimated 90% of Fortune 500 CEOs play golf.
- 50% of golfers agreed with the statement, “the way a person plays golf is very similar to how he or she conducts business affairs.”
(“How Golfers Get Ahead” Prof. Dr. Savitri Kulkarni & Ms. Sridevi Nair, Welingkar Institute of Management and Research, Scholarly Research Journal for Humanity Science and English Language, Oct-Nov 2016, Vol 3.)
Going by the above, if you’re planning a conference for 2018, it makes sense to choose a venue that can offer golf when delegates leave the conference room.
The sprawling Langebaan Country Estate lies adjacent to the beautiful West Coast National Park and famous Langebaan Lagoon. It offers views out to the Atlantic and a spectacular display of wild flowers every August and September, courtesy of millions of Namaqualand daisies that spring into bloom for two months of the year.
It also boasts a magnificent 18-hole Gary Player Design’s, Black Knight golf course and modern, well-equipped, air-conditioned conference facilities in two executive boardrooms.
The first venue accommodates up to 100, while the second seats 18-30. Various seating configurations are possible, from U-shape, to classroom, cinema or banquet. Audiovisual equipment includes video projectors, pull-down screens, and free WIFI, and all the usual ancillary equipment such whiteboards, flipcharts and pens are also supplied.
Conference delegates can immerse themselves in the information being imparted, and then take it out onto the golf course, where they can learn more about each other, strengthen ties, discuss the material covered and have fun.
Apart from the golf course, the Estate also boasts a Mashie course, a driving range with brand new club house, Pro Putt and Foot Golf too. For those delegates who don’t want to play golf, there is also a spa, a swimming pool, bowls club, tennis and netball courts, mountain-bike, cycling and running routes (with small-game viewing opportunities), a gym, and a games centre.
Horizon Restaurant and Blaze Bar offer impeccable cuisine, a welcoming atmosphere and wonderful views across the golf course to the nearby Langebaan lagoon. While delegates need never leave the Estate, they can also enjoy cruises on the lagoon and all the activities the area has to offer.
The well-appointed accommodation options at Langebaan Country Estate are highly rated on platforms such as TripAdvisor and range from 1 and 4-bedroom lodges to 2-bedroom suites and apartments.
Standard conference packages range from R265 per person for a half-day package to R385 per person for a full day, including venue, furniture, equipment, table refreshments, note pads and pens, welcome and mid-session tea/coffee and snacks, and lunch with juice.
The Langebaan Country Estate’s greatest asset is its professional, friendly and experienced team. Give them a ring to discuss your needs. They will offer excellent advice, and tailor your conference, catering, accommodation and team-building package to suit your vision, size and budget.