With the help of the Event Greening Forum, SA Conference brings you 10 ways to ensure green catering:
- Request local and seasonal food
- Try to avoid red meat, but if it is provided, request free-range meat or chicken. Ensure that all seafood is on the SASSI green list.
- Always give preference to locally produced beverages
- Use re-usable cutlery, crockery, napkins whenever possible
- Offer condiments and sugars in large dispensers
- Where disposable items cannot be avoided ensure that these are sent for recycling
- Choose eco-friendly packaging
- Ensure that food waste does not go to landfill, but is suitably composted.
- Provide water in jugs, which looks lovely if fruit is added, or consider the use of onsite filtering and bottling (in glass bottles) for your bottled water.
- Provide information about the greening initiatives that you are implementing
For more: eventgreening.co.za