The Top Women in MICE Awards 2019 culminated in a spectacular ceremony that recognised outstanding women across the length and breadth of the events industry. With an inspiring line-up of speakers and entertainment to create an ideal setting in which the industry’s most remarkable women were celebrated, the event upped the ante with the exceptional calibre of women who were acknowledged during the event, as well as new additions to their special recognition awards. The full list is below.
Speaking on the Awards, was Shanna Jacobsen, editor of Meetings magazine, part of the 3S Media group of titles: “We are delighted at the wonderful reception we have had to this year’s Top Women in MICE list and the ongoing evolution of the Awards. We are confident that through these awards we continue to uphold female excellence within the industry to truly showcase the qualities and talent that underpin what the Top Women in MICE Awards stand for.”
The Awards were launched in 2014 and in its sixth instalment, achieved new heights with the list of winners reflecting a more inclusive and encompassing drive.
“Top Women in MICE Awards are more than an awards ceremony. Not only do we recognise and acknowledge remarkable women making an exceptional difference to this industry on a daily basis, we also gear ourselves to develop the next generation of female movers and shakers in MICE. Mentorship is not just an honour, it is our responsibility. We need to give, in order to receive. These female icons are receiving because they are giving across all spheres of their lives, on a daily basis. ” says Jacques Breytenbach, 3S Media’s General Manager.
THE WINNERS OF THE TOP WOMEN IN MICE AWARDS ARE:
For her crucial role in contracting new trade shows for the Cape Town International Convention Centre and for spearheading the development of the first in-house-produced event.
– Adele Eloff, Business Development Manager for the venue’s national division
For showcasing South Africa’s local excellence abroad.
– Angeline van den Broecke, Director of Global Business Development & Marketing, Convex Malaysia
For developing an approach that provides experience in the form of temporary employment, mentorship and skills development to varying numbers of people.
– Angelique Smith, owner of Event Synthesis
For displaying tenacity that has maintained client satisfaction at above 80% during the past year.
– Arnolette Freeks, Events Manager at the CTICC
For maintaining her current events portfolio while generating a turnover of R25 million in her first six months of managing the newly-established incentives company.
– Candice Smith, Manager at HiSide Incentives
For a career that has spanned more than 25 years across the travel and tourism industry.
– Cinderella ‘Cindy’ Pereira Buser, Owner and Managing Director of businesses, Mirchee and Weddings in Africa
For successfully managing her team of 15 account executives to flawlessly execute over 35 programmes and 26 site inspections for a total of over 3 000 pure incentive international participants.
– Debbie Holmes, Director of MICE Operations at Dragonfly Africa
For establishing herself as an independent within the industry and who, against all odds, has consistently demonstrated her devotion to her work and towards the MICE industry.
– Emily Naidoo, Independent + Freelance Sales Executive
For her exceptional demeanour towards managing approximately 100 events – from the largescale Oracle Cloud Days throughout Africa, to SES’s International Events at AfricaCom in Cape Town.
– Emma Kumalo, Senior Event Manager at Potters Hand Activations
For her instrumental role in the smooth transition of EXSA to a supplier and venue member association, and holding the position of EXSA vice chairperson.
– Gill Gibbs, Co-Founder and CEO of bluCube Design and Brand Activations
For her dedication towards to ensuring that turnover of their local branch grew in excess of 30%.
– Jane Steel, Sales Manager at Scan Display Solutions Cape Town
For playing a key role in contributing to her team’s success, managing her projects with perseverance and compassion.
– Janine Abrahams, Programme and Business Development Manager for Tourvest Incentives, Meetings & Events coastal division
For her commitment and dedication to nurturing our girl children by sharing a portion of the proceeds from the Keke Collection with Mighty Girls SA, where she also serves as a board member.
– Keke Matlou, Director of In Any Event
With 20 years’ experience in the industry and still studying towards further qualifications.
– Kim Weber, Business Optimisation Manager for Century City Conference Centre and Hotel
For managing her role meticulously, consistently demonstrating her work ethic to the industry, visitors and exhibitors during each event, and for consistently uplifting others within their role.
– Leigh Miller, Marketing Manager at Specialised Exhibitions Montgomery
For her ability to lead her team to execute projects and events to exacting standards.
– Letta Madlala, General Manager of Marketing and Communications at Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo
For beating the odds and exuding a constant and consistent willingness to help.
– Lindsey Verfaillie, Senior Sales and Event Coordinator at the Durban International Convention Centre
For her exceptional knack for using exhibition and eventing platforms to create opportunities for industry brands to market their products and service.
– Megan Oberholzer, Portfolio Director for Travel, Tourism & Sports at Reed Exhibitions South Africa
For managing the DevConf event and securing the 2020 event for Fizz Marketing in addition to managing a significant number of other events and campaigns.
– Michelle Beckmann, Director at Fizz Marketing
For reshaping the company from an inward-looking organisation focused on internal production, to an external-client-centric entity.
– Nicole East, Chief Operating Officer at Compex
For her personal drive towards community upliftment, who volunteers her time towards projects such as the Mission Green Earth’s Christmas Campaign.
– Nitta Sukha, Executive Project Manager of Trade Platforms at South African Tourism
For managing the CTICC’s sustainability portfolio in addition to being the chairperson for the Nurture Our World committee and with over 15 years of expertise.
– Olivia Bruce, Head of Marketing and Communications at the CTICC
For promoting giving-back conferencing to support various local-community organisations.
– Paula Jorgensen, Owner of Travel and Explore whose company is achieving its Level 2 BBBEE status
For her instrumental role in producing an effective new layout for the Africa’s Travel Indaba.
– René Fielies, Head of Design at Scan Display Solutions Johannesburg
For her work with a number of corporates over the more than 25 years she has been in the industry putting together high-profile events and functions.
– Sam van den Berg, Owner of Super Sam
For showing us how to rise through the ranks, and who oversees key events such as the SAFTAs and the ANC Youth League event.
– Sannikie Makgakga, Exhibition Manager at Gallagher Convention Centre
For the pivotal role she plays in marketing solutions for clients and her business spirit that is inspired by a collaborative nature of innovative solutions for the environment and job-creation objectives.
– Teresa Jenkins, Managing Director at Litha Communications
For far exceeding client expectations with each project, all the while helping to put Compex’s name on the map and make a name for herself within the industry.
– Thabang Phetla-Banda, Key Account Manager at Compex
For being responsible for the sales activities and growth of all key source markets for the Dragonfly Africa Group over the last 17 years.
– Yolanda Woeke, Vice President: Sales and Marketing at Dragonfly Africa
THE SPECIAL AWARD WINNERS ARE:
Mentor of the Year
For the strides that this mentor has taken in his commitment towards developing women within the industry.
– Craig Newman, CEO of the Johannesburg Expo Centre
Newsmaker of the Year
For setting an editorial standard that ensures we uphold reporting within the industry at its highest level.
– Irene Costa, Editor of Business Events Africa
Enterprise Team of the Year
For excellence that is driving the MICE narrative through greater equality and inclusion and is distinguished at an enterprise level.
– Sun International
For her unwavering efforts to ensure that no stone is left unturned and for her exceptional contribution made to not just the hotel industry but to the world.
– Lorraine Jenks, Founder and CEO of HotelStuff/GreenStuff