The Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA) reocgnises the need to develop post COVID-19 protocols, to proactively inform government policy. The development of such protocols will not only show the industry’s commitment to mitigating the spread of coronavirus, but it will also instill confidence in South Africa as a ‘safe’ tourism destination.
Therefore TBCSA is inviting members of the Southern African Tourism Services Association (SATSA) to contribute their suggestions and questions via four subsector brainstorming webinars being held next week on Tuesday, 21 April 2020.
The protocols should follow the journey of travelers, and map-out safety procedures that industry would put in place to safeguard our staff and tourists. It must take into consideration the guidelines from the Department of Health, WHO, and UNWTO which include basic hygiene, wearing of appropriate masks, social distancing, etc.
Each session will run for one hour, with SATSA Directors moderating the discussions, and subsector-specific thought leaders sharing their initial thoughts and ideas.
Please prepare what you believe should be included in the policy prior to the webinar, to ensure we do not overrun. You are welcome to post these comments in the webinar chat and Q&A sections.
The broad subsectors will include but are not limited to the below:
- Tourist Transportation, 21 April 2020, 11:00 – 12:00, to RSVP click here
• Car rentals
• Tour buses and vehicles
• Tour guiding
• Tour drivers
- Accommodation, 21 April 2020, 13:00 – 14:00, to RSVP click here
• Check-in and check-out
• Food handling
• Cleaning of rooms
• Hotel or B&B restaurants seating arrangements
• Other related protocols
- Tourism Attractions, 21 April 2020, 15:00 – 16:00, to RSVP click here
• From arrival to departure including all interactions and equipment
• Adventure activities
• Sport (i.e. golf)
• Health facilities (spa), etc.
- Education and Volunteering, 21 April 2020, 16:00 – 17:00, to RSVP click here
• Considering social distancing and other measures per health officials
• Training Bodies
• Language Schools
• Volunteering, etc.